Lead poisoning shouldn’t be a problem, right? Wrong! Lead poisoning is still happening in homes throughout the United States. You may ask how that is possible since lead paint has been illegal for decades. Lead paint is no longer used in the United States. However, lead paint was not removed from older homes where it was already used.

When homes are remodeled, paint is not removed from the home. Instead, paint is applied directly over the existing coat. This left the lead paint beneath the original coat. Some homes still have the original lead paint, as the home has never been repainted. This is where problems begin. For a healthy adult, lead paint is not a problem. It doesn’t affect healthy adults. However, pregnant women, the elderly, and children are at a high risk of lead poisoning. If you have any of the above living on your property, it may be a good idea to have a lead paint test administered.

What is Lead Poisoning?

Lead poisoning occurs when too much lead enters the body. Generally, lead poisoning occurs in children who have been exposed to lead paint on walls or toys. However, some adults have lead poisoning from pipes or paint flakes and dust. Lead poisoning affects the brain the most, but it also causes severe symptoms that include:
• Abdominal Pain
• Headaches
• Constipation
• Memory Issues
• Irritability
• Behavioral Problems
• Tingling in Hands and Feet
• Seizures
• Comas
• Death

As you can see, lead poisoning can be very severe, and life-threatening. If your home has not been tested for lead paint, now is the time. Lead poisoning can affect anyone and can easily be prevented by testing the home. Hiring a professional to test for lead paint is the best option, as the samples will be sent to a lab for accurate testing.