Asbestos can be virtually anywhere in your home. You have hard about the dangers of it being in your ceiling or tile, but the most common place is your roofing and insulation. You may think it is no big deal, because you are not exposed to your insulation and your roofing is outside. WRONG! You can easily be exposed to asbestos even if you don’t physically touch the asbestos-containing materials. Asbestos fibers are tiny, and you would never know if you had come in contact with this material. Asbestos causes major illnesses and should be avoided at all costs.
How would I know if My Roofing or Insulation Has Asbestos-Containing Materials?
Unfortunately, you cannot see asbestos. All insulation and roofing look the same. Asbestos fibers are very tiny and impossible to detect. The only way to know for sure is by having a specialized test complete. The test is simple but could save your life. For a home asbestos test contact a certified and insured asbestos removal company.
If There is Asbestos in My Insulation or Roofing, is it Dangerous to Me?
Asbestos is always dangerous. It doesn’t matter if it is in your insulation or outside on your roof. You can still be exposed. Your entire family is at risk for asbestos exposure. As your insulation breaks down it can send asbestos fibers through your HVAC system to all corners of your home. Your roofing shingles can break from wind or rain. If this happens, asbestos fibers can float through the air and into your home affecting everyone in its path.
Can I Remove Asbestos?
NO! You should never try to remove asbestos from your home. It is highly dangerous and can lead to major illnesses. The only way to ensure it is all safely removed from your home is through a certified asbestos professional. They have proper equipment and tools to remove the asbestos. They also have the proper licensing to dispose of asbestos in a safe manner. For you and your family’s safety, have an asbestos test completed on your home.