Lead was used in paints for decades because of pigment and resilience. Just like asbestos it was a miracle product, until it was found to cause devastating affects on people. Lead exposure is a major problem in the United States. Lead was used in paint until the mid to late 80s. Here are some common sources of lead exposure including some items that should be tested. Even though paints do not contain lead now, many homes still have lead paint. If your home was built as late as the 90s, it could have lead paint. Testing for lead is an easy process that can let you know if you have lead paint inside your home. Below Colorado Hazardous Environmental will discuss lead paint testing and the symptoms of lead paint poisoning.

Do I Need a Lead Test?

If your home was built in the 80s or 90s, you should have a lead test completed on your home. Lead tests can be completed in two ways. While both ways are extremely accurate, one gives you immediate results, while the other takes time. The most common way for lead testing is to take samples and send them off to a lab. This way is cheaper and extremely accurate, but it takes times to get the results back. The easiest method is through x-ray fluorescence devices. This gives accurate and fast results. If you are in the middle of purchasing a home or about to have a baby, it would be best to use the x-ray method.

Lead Paint Poisoning and the Symptoms

Young children, pregnant women, and the elderly are more at risk for lead poisoning. Unfortunately, many symptoms of lead paint poisoning copycat other health problems. If you believe you or someone in your family has lead poisoning, you will need to see a medical professional for a test. Below are some of the more common symptoms of lead poisoning:

  • Headaches
  • Memory and Concentration Problems
  • Behavioral Issues
  • Learning Disabilities
  • Joint Paint
  • Digestion Problems
  • High Blood Pressure
  • Hearing Loss

The above are just some of the many symptoms of lead poisoning. Having your home tested is the best way to keep your children safe from lead poisoning. Lead paint becomes a problem once it is exposed or chipped. Young children like to use their mouths to learn and can become exposed easily. For your peace of mind, have a lead test completed on your home.