Asbestos Exposure – What You Need to Know!

Asbestos is known for how dangerous it is. However, for many decades it was used as a miracle fiber for construction materials throughout the United States. It wasn’t until recently, asbestos was discovered to be very hazardous to your health. Asbestos exposure is a real concern. Once ingested, asbestos fibers will lie dormant for years before becoming active inside your body. Once active, asbestos can cause major illnesses such as mesothelioma and death. Below Colorado Hazardous Environmental will discuss some areas where asbestos could be and how you may become exposed.

Where are the most common places for asbestos-containing materials inside your home?

Asbestos was used in many materials, including adhesives and insulation. Most new homes do not contain asbestos, but older homes that may have been remodeled are very likely to contain asbestos. Below are some common places for asbestos to be lurking:

  • Insulation
  • Roofing Materials
  • Tile
  • Adhesives
  • Popcorn Ceilings
  • Wallpaper
  • Flooring
  • Textured Paint

How Do I Become Exposed to Asbestos?

When asbestos is not disturbed or worn down, it does not pose a danger. However, once you disturb it, either through a remodel or from it being older, you will become exposed to asbestos. Asbestos is a tiny fiber that can travel on your clothing, through the air, or even through your air vents to other areas of your home. You will normally ingest it through your nose or mouth. Asbestos is so tiny that you will not know that you have been exposed. After years, you will develop severe respiratory problems, cancer, or death. It is very important to have your home tested for asbestos before doing a remodel. It could save your life. If you have an older home or want to start renovations, call a professional asbestos removal company. They will be able to properly test your home.

By | 2018-07-13T21:30:31+00:00 July 13th, 2018|Asbestos Information|0 Comments

About the Author:

Leave A Comment