Is asbestos exposure a really big deal? Should I actually be worried? Can it really be harmful to my health? The answer to all of these questions is yes! Asbestos in your home is a major concern. Asbestos fibers are not just harmful; they can be deadly. Asbestos fibers aren’t visible like mold stains. Asbestos fibers are mixed into the building materials, making it impossible to see. This is how people become exposed to easily. You cannot see asbestos. You cannot taste or smell asbestos. The only way to know if you have asbestos is through a certified asbestos testing professional.

What are Health Problems Caused by Asbestos Exposure?

Asbestos causes cancer. It is the only cause of Mesothelioma, which is a cancer that can affect your heart, lungs, and stomach. Asbestos is known to cause lung cancer and other severe respiratory problems. It caused pleural thickening and effusions. Asbestos is a killer and can devastate your body if given a chance.

Where Could Asbestos Be Located in My Home?

Asbestos could be virtually anywhere in your home. Asbestos fibers are so durable and cost-effective that it was used in most building materials. Asbestos is also heat resistant, making it perfect for roofing, insulation, and wire coatings. Asbestos is known to be in the following materials:

  • Insulation
  • Adhesives
  • Popcorn Ceilings
  • Textured Paint
  • Roofing
  • Tile and Flooring

The list can go on and on. Asbestos is very harmful if ingested and can cause major health problems. If your home has never been tested for asbestos, the time is now. Before doing any remodels you should have the home checked. Removing wallpaper or flooring can easily expose your entire family to asbestos. Play it safe this Summer and have your home tested for asbestos fibers!