Your home should be a safe space, but there are a few hazardous materials that are commonly found in homes throughout the United States. These hazardous materials should always be removed by certified professionals, as they can make you extremely ill.

Asbestos

We have all heard about asbestos and mesothelioma, but is it really that hazardous? Yes, asbestos is one of the most dangerous fibers in the world. It can cause cancer and death. Unfortunately, you cannot see asbestos. You must have an asbestos test completed on your home to see if it contains asbestos fibers. If your home does contain asbestos, it must be removed as soon as possible, and by a certified and licensed asbestos removal specialist.

Mold

While mold is not as dangerous as asbestos, it is still hazardous and can make you ill. Mold causes a variety of respiratory illnesses. If the conditions are right, mold can quickly grow and infest your entire home. Mold should be removed by professionals, as all mold spores must be removed, or you will have another mold infestation.

Lead

Lead poisoning is severe and can happen to young children, the elderly, and pregnant women. If your home contains lead paint, the lead must be removed from your property if any of the above are living or visiting. Lead poisoning can cause developmental and cognitive delays.

Soot

Soot can happen from the smallest of fires but leave a long-lasting effect. If you have had a recent fire in or around your home, there is likely soot inside. Soot is hazardous and can damage your property and make you ill. Soot can cause respiratory problems and must be removed by professionals with the proper equipment.

Rodents

Rodents love to live inside your basement, attic, or between your walls. While you may not see the rodents, you will see the damages. Rodents will tear up your home’s walls, wires, and structure. They will also eat your food and leave urine and feces throughout your property. Rodent urine and feces contain harmful bacteria and viruses that can make you extremely ill.